Öhlins Racing has been an integrated part of the motorsport industry as well as the motorcycle and automotive industry for 40 years. Our focus has always been on high quality products, service and support, all the way from the MotoGP circuits to the local national racing events in over 50 distributing countries.
Our philosophy has always been to supply the aftermarket, OEM partners and teams with high-end suspension technology and we are all dedicated to exceed our customer’s expectations throughout the world.
The Öhlins way
Our passion for innovations and state-of-the-art technology motivates us to search for the next generation of advanced suspension technology.
Our dedicated and professional staff cooperates with some of the most prestigious manufacturers and teams in the world to find the optimal suspension performance and in the end this knowledge finds its way to the aftermarket and OEM shock absorbers, front forks and steering dampers on the street.
Our aftermarket customers ride on factory racing technology with just small or even no modifications. Our goal is to offer the same level of service and support throughout our organisation, no matter if it is a racing team or a passionate enthusiast rider or driver in search of a better functioning suspension unit on his bike or car.
To be a respected and preferred brand in the high-end segment within our business areas is a motto and every employee strive to make this come true.
To be in the fore front of advanced suspension technology makes us work even harder to find the next chapter of suspension technology.
Öhlins Racing is just about to turn the page yet again and it is time to Make the world go electronic on suspension.
Up to date highlights
- 320 employees
- Privately owned by founder Kenth Öhlin
- Head Quarter in Stockholm (10.000 sqm)
- Subsidiary in USA – Öhlins USA, Hendersonville NC
- Subsidiary in Germany – ÖDTC, Nürburgring
- Subsidiary in Thailand – Öhlins Asia Co,. Ltd
- Subsidiaries in Sweden – CES Technologies in Jönköping & Öhlins Auto Norden in Karlstad
- 130.000 units produced annually
- 97 % of all sales on export
- Annual Turnover around 85 MEUR (€)
- Annual Growth around 10% last 10 years
- Focus on R&D, A/M, OEM and Racing of Advanced Suspension Technology for Motorcycles, Cars, Snowmobiles, Mountainbikes & ATV’s
Head quarter – Upplands Väsby – Sweden
The Öhlins HQ is the very heart of our operations. Everything once started here back in 1976 when the founder Kenth Öhlin started his business in his fathers’ engineering workshop a bit further down the road.
All products are being engineered and assembled in the facilities just north of Sweden’s capital – Stockholm.
Öhlins Distribution & Technical Centre Nürburgring – Germany
Our central European subsidiary enables us to make faster and more accurate deliveries to supply our customers in the region.
Apart from a more sophisticated delivery service program, Öhlins Distribution & Technical Centre can offer a complete package with the famous Nürburgring race track located close to our facilities.
Öhlins USA Inc. – North Carolina – USA
To be able to serve the U.S. market, Öhlins Racing has expanded its presence by setting up a subsidiary business in the heart of the racing state North Carolina – USA.
The strategic position goes hand in hand with our 7 post shake rig which is one of the most advanced testing platforms on the US continent today.
Öhlins Auto Norden – Karlstad – Sweden
Öhlins Auto Norden is the distributor of Öhlins Automotive products in Sweden, Norway and Finland. Located in Karlstad – Sweden – the facilities offer a complete range of automotive products and service.
Öhlins Jönköping – CES Technologies – Sweden
The home of the CES technology is located in Jönköping – Sweden. At our modern facilities engineers are in search of the next generation of electronically controlled suspension with great success.
Öhlins Asia – Thailand
Öhlins Asia is the distributor of Öhlins products in Thailand. The factory produces Öhlins products for the growing Southeast Asian markets.
Our business areas
- 60 % Aftermarket sales volumes of total sales
- our product range is sold through our distributor network which encompasses the entire globe, more than 50 countries in total
- our local, national distributors take part in almost all national championship series as a natural part of the role as an Öhlins representative – Service & Support are key stones in our quest to offer the most advanced and professional product range in the world.
- 40 % OEM sales volumes of total sales
- collaborations with some of the largest manufacteurers on a worldwide scale such as Yamaha, Ducati, BMW and Kawasaki
- collaborations with respected race car manufacteurers all over the world
- the OEM cooperation’s gives Öhlins the possibility to trim costs, sharpen the work flow efficiency and maximize the overall quality of the end products
- the close relationship with the vehicle industry allows us to take part in the technical evolution – giving us a superior advantage compared to many of our competitors on the market.
Racing Service & support
- a self financed business area which also works as R&D unit for future Aftermarket and OEM products
- more than 30 employees dedicated to High end racing support & service
- high profile customers in all business areas such as:
- Motorcycle (Roadracing): MotoGP, World Superbike, AMA
- Motorcycle (Motocross): MX1, MX2
- Automotive: DTM, NASCAR, LeMans Series, Group N Rally Series, Rallycross European Championship, Off-Road Racing
- ATV: GNCC, ITP Quad Cross, Worcs Series, European Championship, British Championship, Swedish Championships
- our dedication and passion for high end racing will find its way back to the aftermarket products – giving the rider on the street the chance of buying the most advanced suspension technology on the market.
Öhlins Racing’s CES system (Continuously Controlled Electronic Suspension) integrates the latest technology in hydraulics and electronics into a highly advanced adaptive suspension unit that monitors all four wheels on a car. Based on the quality of the road and the preferred setting by the rider all four wheels are controlled individually to maintain the optimal suspension setup.
Use of the CES valve in a shock absorber removes most of the compromise between ride and handling found in conventional shocks. It enables the suspension to provide sportscar characteristics in cornering and lane changes while giving the ride of a limousine during cruising.
Öhlins has been active in semi-active suspension development since the late eighties. We have built in-depth knowledge about the valves, shocks, sensors, ECUs and software required to make semi-active suspension work. With our knowledge we can not only supply the valves but also the support required to build a full system.
Today the CES technology is used by several car manufacturers such as BMW, Daimler, VW, and Volvo.
For more information on CES, please, visit http://www.ohlinsces.com/.
The production philosophy
- All products are assembled by dedicated specialists with a passion for perfection.
- Depending on the volume of deviations in the past and supplier history a number of every batch of components is checked at random in the receiving inspection. This way we can minimize the volume of deviating components in the production line.
- All assembled products undergo numerous tests to ensure optimal functionality and quality.
- We firmly believe that our production facility in Sweden gives us a competitive edge – we can control the entire flow all the way from the drawing board to the assembled unit in the cardboard box just before shipment.
- Almost 200 specialized suppliers are working with Öhlins on a yearly basis to craft the optimal suspension components.
- 80 % are Swedish suppliers
- 20 % From other European and Asian countries
- Just about 10 000 active part numbers in our systems
- Every year approximately 1200 new part numbers are added.
- We are known to be one of the most demanding customers and we take great interest in our suppliers – visiting them on a regular basis to trim their production lines to ensure superior quality components.
- We think of the suppliers as a part of our family and we take great pride in long term relationships that ultimately brings us closer and we all get to know each others needs and shortcomings.
- We are on a never ending quest to find perfection in every detail
The Öhlins product range
The Unique, complete, package
Öhlins can offer suspension technology to a wide range of vehicles such as:
- Mountain bike
- Other business areas
Öhlins also make suspension solutions to customers in search of perfection which has led us into a wide range of industry sectors such as the naval, forest, aero and defence industry.